[devel] parallel builds, again

Dmitry V. Levin ldv на altlinux.org
Сб Дек 12 14:12:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 09:56:02PM +0200, Michael Shigorin wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 09:28:00PM +0300, Alexey Tourbin wrote:
> > > Does at@ or ldv@ have any ideas how to further improve
> > > builder performance? There never was so stressfull load on
> > > infrastructure and hope never be in near future, but will we
> > > wait so long time if it happens again?
> > First off (perhaps in case you didn't notice), we're doing
> > blazing fast.
>
> I think it's just as "fast" as when one stands for an hour
> trying to book tickets for the train departing roughly in an
> hour, while the operator can do nothing but wait until the lock
> somewhere is released.
>
> Single-threaded build is getting us nowhere when CPU clocks are
> effectively frozen at <= 3GHz while cores are plenty; ARM case
> is even more sensitive to single system performance being a
> bottleneck (as discussed on devel-ports@).

Well, you could benefit from parallelizing builds if you had some spare
CPU and RAM.  Unfortunately, this is not the case.  The hardware
available now is only 3 aged servers, with two dual core processors each,
i.e. just 12 cores.  These decrepit wrecks are handling all build
queues (6 repositories, with two architectures each) and some other
greedy tasks.  This situation is not going to change in foreseen future,
so I'd rather be on the safe side and leave things as is.

--
ldv