[Comm-en] Using RPM cache on a second ALT-Linux system

Michael Shigorin mike at altlinux.org
Tue Aug 2 21:23:50 MSK 2022

On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 10:46:05AM -0600, Chorus Grove wrote:
> > Now, here's a silly question: how do I tell Synaptic to use
> > those files to do an upgrade?
> Oh, never mind.  I figured it out.  Once I connected the second PC to
> the Internet and allowed Synaptic to update the repository package list,
> I saw that it acknowledged that the rpms were already downloaded and
> just wanted to upgrade.  So, all is good, I think. Thanks!

It's not silly; I was in hurry and didn't recognize that you can
save several dozen megabytes of traffic more if you synchronize
the whole /var/cache/apt/ and /var/lib/apt/ onto that machine.

Flat rate 100+ MBps here in Russia is sort of too gorgeous
though I do know how 2400 baud feels with per-minute phone too...

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info