[Comm-en] Introduction

Alex Negulescu a at wdu.ro
Tue May 19 21:25:07 MSD 2009

Michael Shigorin wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 09:32:30PM +0300, Alex Negulescu wrote:
>
>> Glad Niki did find out what was the issue.
>>

> Heh.
>

>> I think media check is not needed because the errors are
>> "spitten" out on console. Besides, checking the md5 of files is
>> made by a lot of us after downloading, so if the md5 is ok, the
>> problem could be either from the media or from the hardware
>> support :-)
>>

> "A lot of us" is a bit of exaggeration...

Don't know about others, but the people I know do check the media :)

>> Maybe it would be good to have (the check) but I would not like
>> it to be a "default" button. The check should be done just on
>> confirm not automatically or by a wrong entery key push.
>>

> Of course not by the default path (which is "boot from HDD").

No, I was saying about the automated media check I have seen at some
distros (in the past) after clicking install.. a check that you can't
bypass.

>> On the other hand I would like to know how could I install from
>> usb disk multiple versions of ALT/any other linux.  Like have a
>> boot menu (with grub) to install ALT Linux 5.0, 4.1, 4.0
>> server, sisyphus, each with x86_64 options.  Do i have to
>> rebuild the installer or is there a way to specify another
>> directory for the rpms (specify as parameter, not when the
>> installer asks it - i am now using this method, the installer
>>

> I guess you might like to discuss possibilities with
> Michael Kangin (mak at altlinux) who implemented the LiveFlash
> in mkimage profile, and it *seems* to me that this path is
> hardcoded in installer -- IIRC it wasn't moved to features:
> http://git.altlinux.org/people/ldv/packages/?p=installer.git
> http://git.altlinux.org/people/inger/packages/?p=installer.git
>
> Another place that's concerned is alterator-pkg (optionals):
> http://git.altlinux.org/people/ldv/packages/?p=alterator-pkg.git
> http://git.altlinux.org/people/inger/packages/?p=alterator-pkg.git
>
> I'd also probably have to introduce you to mkimage, and translate
> at least the basic docs at http://www.altlinux.org/Mkimage and
> http://www.altlinux.org/Mkimage/Desktop if you decide to join
> the party ;-)

I'll probably join the party soon.. I'm kind of starting learning
russian because I have been planning some trips over there, to the
mountains, so .. I am OK with the page in russian.
So, with some reading and help of some translation tools, I'll probably
be in the party :)
I have read about mkimage, but didn't (for now) start building anything.
I'll probably build something soon, because I need some disc to do it
all, with what I want, with my settings, for servers for example.

Alex