[Comm-en] Introduction

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Tue May 19 21:01:08 MSD 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 09:32:30PM +0300, Alex Negulescu wrote:
> Glad Niki did find out what was the issue.

Heh.

> I think media check is not needed because the errors are
> "spitten" out on console. Besides, checking the md5 of files is
> made by a lot of us after downloading, so if the md5 is ok, the
> problem could be either from the media or from the hardware
> support :-)

"A lot of us" is a bit of exaggeration...

> Maybe it would be good to have (the check) but I would not like
> it to be a "default" button. The check should be done just on
> confirm not automatically or by a wrong entery key push.

Of course not by the default path (which is "boot from HDD").

> On the other hand I would like to know how could I install from
> usb disk multiple versions of ALT/any other linux.  Like have a
> boot menu (with grub) to install ALT Linux 5.0, 4.1, 4.0
> server, sisyphus, each with x86_64 options.  Do i have to
> rebuild the installer or is there a way to specify another
> directory for the rpms (specify as parameter, not when the
> installer asks it - i am now using this method, the installer

I guess you might like to discuss possibilities with
Michael Kangin (mak at altlinux) who implemented the LiveFlash
in mkimage profile, and it *seems* to me that this path is
hardcoded in installer -- IIRC it wasn't moved to features:
http://git.altlinux.org/people/ldv/packages/?p=installer.git
http://git.altlinux.org/people/inger/packages/?p=installer.git

Another place that's concerned is alterator-pkg (optionals):
http://git.altlinux.org/people/ldv/packages/?p=alterator-pkg.git
http://git.altlinux.org/people/inger/packages/?p=alterator-pkg.git

I'd also probably have to introduce you to mkimage, and translate
at least the basic docs at http://www.altlinux.org/Mkimage and
http://www.altlinux.org/Mkimage/Desktop if you decide to join
the party ;-)

--