[Comm-en] MIME definitions used by Firefox

Aaron McDonald wmcdona89 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 09:00:18 MSK 2005

Yuri, thanks for the advice on this. I took a look at an old Alt Linux 2.2
installation I still have and I found that it didn't have the update-mime
command either. It then occurred to me that maybe the .mailcap file isn't
created or updated when a package is installed, but rather when a program is
run. I deleted the OpenOffice.org entries from my .mailcap file and sure
enough, after running OpenOffice.org, the MIME definitions were restored.
So, I guess both my questions are answered.

Thanks,
Aaron

<community-en at altlinux.org>
>Subject: Re: [Comm-en] MIME definitions used by Firefox
>Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 07:47:28 +0300
>
>÷ ÷ÓË, 06/03/2005 × 20:33 -0500, Aaron McDonald ÐÉÛÅÔ:
> > Did Alt Linux recently discontinue use of the update-mime command?
>From what
> > I can tell, this program is used to update mailcap files.
> >
> > Here's a little background as to why I'm asking the question:
> > After much investigation and research today I discovered that some
of the
> > default applications that Firefox is using are from the .mailcap
file in my
> > home directory. This file was last modified on Dec. 31st 2004 and
it
> > contains useful MIME definitions for OpenOffice.org. If I remove
this file,
> > Firefox no longer has these MIME definitions. The
update-desktop-database
> > command creates /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache which
Firefox also
> > uses, but this file doesn't contain any of the OpenOffice.org
definitions.

> > So, my questions are:
> > Where did my .mailcap file come from?
> > and
> > What OpenOffice.org files need to be moved to
/usr/share/applications/ so