[Comm-en] Xfree86 Hardware Acceleration

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Tue Sep 9 11:04:31 MSD 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:04:27PM -0400, Jordan Patterson wrote:
> Hi.  I recently installed Alt Linux Junior and did a
> dist-upgrade to the Sisyphus repository.

Ugh.  Was this needed or "for curiousity"?  Generally major
breakage can occur if you don't expect it while following
unstable branches.

> The sound failed to work afterwords, but I got that fixed by
> reading through the mailing list and finding the fix.  When
> XFree86 updated however, 3d acceration stopped working my 3d
> games(Gltron and tuxracer).  I tried to boot up with knoppix
> and add any useful changes to XFree86Config-4, but I have so
> far been unable to fix anything.  Does anybody know what could
> be wrong?  My XFree86Config-4 file is pasted below.  Thanks to
> anyone that helps out.

Which kernel do you run? (show the output of "uname -r" command)

If 2.4.21*std-up, then you'd install kernel-modules-dri-std-up
package which has proper DRI driver for Radeons.

>     Driver      "radeon"

Also you could try to babelfish through http://atmsk.ru
(http://babelfish.altavista.com) -- there's a decent quantity of
relevant information there.