[Comm-en] Fwd: Problems with X and Radeon R300/9700pro

Mark Donahue mark_donahue at mac.com
Wed Sep 10 19:32:31 MSD 2003

From: Mark Donahue <mark_donahue at mac.com>
TO: <community-en at altlinux.org>
CC:
Date: Wed Sep 10, 2003 06:30:09 PM CEST
Subject: Problems with X and Radeon R300/9700pro

Hello,

I just ditched SuSE 8.2 in favour of ALT Junior 2.2. The installation went fine except for the X config.  The card is detected as an ATI Radeon 9700 (R300 chipset I guess) but no driver can be found.

On SuSE 8.2, the card is detected and configured flawlessly, so my first instinct was that perhaps the drivers delivered with XFree86 4.3.0 were required (since this is the version that ships with SuSE 8.2).  I set up Junior to use the FBDEV driver temporarily and tried to use Synaptic to upgrade XFree86 to 4.3.0.  This broke X, since for some reason XFree86-xfs would not install due to some dependency issue that pointed to my etc/initr.d directory (I think, I'm writing from a Windows PC... grrr and I don't have access to the Linux box for the moment).

Any ideas on how to get my video card to work?  I was really attracted to ALT for the package management features, which I found very weak in SuSE, but now I'm stuck!

Thanks,

Mark