[room] [usab] Fwd: Re: Filesystem - hiding system folders?

Michael Shigorin =?iso-8859-1?q?mike_=CE=C1_osdn=2Eorg=2Eua?=
Пт Мар 31 10:33:55 MSD 2006

	Здравствуйте.
Выковырял похожее на изюм из одного треда в sounder на ubuntu.
Возможно, usability folks это когда-то пригодится.
Если заведутся.

----- Forwarded message from Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh/ubuntu.com> -----

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:37:57 +1100
From: Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh/ubuntu.com>
To: sounder/lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Filesystem - hiding system folders?

<quote who="Chanchao">

> That's a heck of a lot.. I know a lot of this is legacy unix stuff, but
> thinking outside the box for a bit: is it really necessary to have that
> all out in the open, visible to any newbie user?

Like Apple have done with Mac OS X, we could create .hidden files and put
them in one of our desktop-only packages. The /.hidden file could list the
ugly, non-useful *nix directories that don't serve a purpose in a graphical
file manager (dev, boot, etc).

Nautilus supports .hidden files already, so it would just be a matter of
finding the right place to put them, and the right things to hide (I doubt
it would be necessary to have much more than the single /.hidden though).

Making nice directory names for the other stuff is harder, and not quite so
useful, because we can't really make the dramatic changes Apple have done
here without tossing away things like FHS compliance and so on. Plus, our
developer platform doesn't work the same way, so if we made aliases from
say, lib -> Libraries, it wouldn't be useful anyway.

- Jeff

--
FISL 7.0: Porto Alegre, Brazil        http://fisl.softwarelivre.org/7.0/www/

                   "Socks for the foot menu!" - Liam Quin