[room] Fwd: DB2 and Ubuntu (comment about DCC)

Michael Shigorin =?iso-8859-1?q?mike_=CE=C1_osdn=2Eorg=2Eua?=
Пн Янв 9 11:51:57 MSK 2006

----- Forwarded message from Boris Bialek <bbialek/ca.ibm.com> -----

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 18:55:31 -0500
From: Boris Bialek <bbialek/ca.ibm.com>
To: sounder/lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: DB2 and Ubuntu (comment about DCC)

Folks,

reading through the whole thread  - one comment here because as part of
this discussion I got pinged form a number of people about the DB2
validation and the compatibiloity discussion.

DB2 is validated for Ubuntu 5.04 (and we work on 5.10). This does not mean
our support team will support any other Debian distros that are not 100%
BINARY compatible to them - the same rule applies to knock offs (sorry my
wording) of any other distribution.

 I heard the questions about specific ones from Spain who use subsets from
Ubuntu or are completely based on it. Those are fine as long as the users
are able to quote the right version if they come to the situation that they
require IBM support (which they normally paid for...).

Source code compatibility is after our own experiences not sufficient for
validation or support  because there are enough options where people can
select a complete different compile tree leading to binary that is not
tested at all and generates in worst case data corruption (the nuclear
accident in databases).

Cheers,
Boris

Boris C. Bialek , Senior Manager,  DB2 Competitive Technologies and
Enablement
Email: bbialek/ca.ibm.com    Tel: +1 905 413 3078
Blog: http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/db2/

----- Message from Mark Shuttleworth <mark/canonical.com> on Fri, 06 Jan
2006 17:00:15 +0000 -----