[sisyphus] Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Oleg A. Paraschenko olpa на xmlhack.ru
Чт Янв 26 07:26:03 MSK 2006

  Hello,

  recently (24 Jan) I updated my system to Sisyphus, and now I can't write
Russian in X.

  As far as I understand, now X is Xorg, and to write Russian I have to
use xkb. Here is a part of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

<quote>
Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option "AutoRepeat"  "250 30"

    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us,ru"
    Option "XkbVariant"  ",winkeys"
    Option "XkbOptions"  "grp:caps_toggle"

EndSection
</quote>

  Unfortunately, xorg starts with the following message in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log:

<quote>
(WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
</quote>

  I created symlinks

/etc/X11/xkb -> /usr/share/X11/xkb/
/usr/lib/X11/xkb -> /usr/share/X11/xkb/

but it doesn't help.

  What have I missed? My installed packages:

</quote>
$ rpm -qa | egrep '(xorg-x11-server|xkb)'
xkbprint-1.0.1-alt1
xorg-x11-server-1.0.1-alt6
libxkbui-devel-1.0.1-alt3
libxkbui-1.0.1-alt3
xkbcomp-1.0.1-alt1
libxkbfile-devel-1.0.1-alt3
xorg-x11-xkbdata-1.0.1-alt2
xkbevd-1.0.1-alt1
libxkbfile-1.0.1-alt3
xxkb-1.10-alt3
xorg-x11-server-common-1.0.1-alt6
alterator-xkb-0.3-alt3
</quote>

  By the way, I've noticed the following:

<quote>
$ setxkbmap -print ru
Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
Use defaults: rules - 'xorg' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'
*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x40014ca0 ***
Aborted
</quote>

  Probably it's somehow related to my problem, but I'm not sure.

  Thanks in advance.

--
Oleg Paraschenko  olpa@ http://xmlhack.ru/  XML news in Russian
http://uucode.com/blog/  Generative Programming, XML, TeX, Scheme