[sisyphus] Fwd: regarding the reopened can of Unicode worms

Alexey Tourbin =?iso-8859-1?q?at_=CE=C1_altlinux=2Eru?=
Пн Мар 15 03:30:06 MSK 2004

Поддержка юникода в перле.
Продолжение есть в архиве.

----- Forwarded message from Jarkko Hietaniemi -----

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:57:08 +0200
From: Jarkko Hietaniemi
Subject: regarding the reopened can of Unicode worms
To: perl5-porters

At the request of many people I took a quick peek at the raging discussion.

My comments are as follows.

There is no way to get "it all work".  There was no way to "get it all
work".  "All" is a big word.

One has to consider backward compatibility (ASCII, "binary", locales)
and all the various aspects of Unicode.  The best guiding light I can
give is to always think of I/O (the Perl scripts being a form of I): how
did this data get in, what data do we think it is, and how is the data
going to go out?

A good example of unexpected breakage was the 5.8.0 semantics of locales
possibly turning on UTF-8-ness on STD* streams: a good idea, but the
result was horrible breakage in Redhat systems because they did have
UTF-8 locales for everybody, and their print chr(0xff) started producing
two bytes, not one.

After some careful thought and consideration I must say I can't help
taking it somewhat personally that people are now coming out of the
woodwork and finding things "wrong".  I have lately been accused both
privately and publicly, both directly and indirectly, both for keeping
backward compatibility and for not keeping it.

I know what we have has problems, but I am done with it.  You can do
whatever you want, change the Unicode semantics and interfaces however
you want.  I gave it my best shot.

P.S. Sorry about the format=flawed in the message headers.  I've had a
bad email week, on both MUA and MTA fronts.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special