[kbd] ctrl arrow keys not working in linux virtual consoles

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 10 23:32:35 MSK 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 08:13:16PM +0100, Benoît wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying my luck here as I don't find a solution after mutiple tries.
> I posted my issue in archlinux forum for reference :

> To summarize, I am unable to make a ctrl arrow combination recognized and
> work under virtual consoles (working in X).
>
> Pushing ctrl + arrow is giving the same hex as pushing only arrow key.
> I am thinking about remapping keys and use a customizable .map for my
> virtual console but I don't see how to get the right code to put into my
> .map
>
> I am under an azerty keyboard.
> I would very appreciate if you have any idea :)
>
> Many thanks

If by 'arrow' you mean 'up arrow', on my keyboard that is keycode
103.  Use 'showkey' to confirm the code in your setup.

Then add a line to your map, something like

	control	keycode   103 = acircumflex

and when that gives you an â you will know it works.  Then change it
to whichever key or glyph you wish.

For some reason, the control keycode values in the map from which I
started my own changes are all inset like that after the
corresponding entry - I assume you can just add the control entry
after any included files have been mentioned (in the uk map I used,
the up arrow is only mentioned in one of the included files).

But, if you are starting from fr-latin1 or fr-latin9 there are
already entries for 'plain' keycode 103 and for some neighbouring
codes which show how shift, alt can be given on separate lines (or
commented with '#').

But I can't help with decoding the escape sequences you showed in
that Arch posting.

HTH

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods