[kbd] [systemd-devel] systemd-vconsole-setup fails very slowly

Andy Lutomirski luto at amacapital.net
Thu Apr 2 01:00:24 MSK 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:38 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto at amacapital.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org> wrote:
>
>>> They should only get created when something accesses the corresponding
>>> tty. deallocvt(1) can kill unused ones and the device nodes should
>>> disappear.
>>>

>> deallocvt doesn't seem to kill those device nodes for me.
>
> Seems to work here:
>
> # ls -l /dev/vcs[6789]
> crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 6 Apr  1 22:21 /dev/vcs6
> # cat /dev/tty7
> ^C
> # cat /dev/tty9
> ^C
> # ls -l /dev/vcs[6789]
> crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 6 Apr  1 22:21 /dev/vcs6
> crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 7 Apr  1 23:42 /dev/vcs7
> crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 9 Apr  1 23:42 /dev/vcs9
> # deallocvt 7
> # ls -l /dev/vcs[6789]
> crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 6 Apr  1 22:21 /dev/vcs6
> crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 9 Apr  1 23:42 /dev/vcs9
> # deallocvt 9
> # ls -l /dev/vcs[6789]
> crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 6 Apr  1 22:21 /dev/vcs6

Aha.  It seems that I have something holding tty1-tty4 open.  I'll fix
that on my end.  Will that make vconsole-setup stop calling setfont?
If so, that will indirectly solve my problem.  (Although... I don't
see why the presence or absence of in-use vts should affect font

--
Andy Lutomirski
AMA Capital Management, LLC