[kbd] [systemd-devel] systemd-vconsole-setup fails very slowly

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Thu Apr 2 00:47:56 MSK 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:38 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto at amacapital.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org> wrote:

>> They should only get created when something accesses the corresponding
>> tty. deallocvt(1) can kill unused ones and the device nodes should
>> disappear.
>>

> deallocvt doesn't seem to kill those device nodes for me.

Seems to work here:

# ls -l /dev/vcs[6789]
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 6 Apr  1 22:21 /dev/vcs6
# cat /dev/tty7
^C
# cat /dev/tty9
^C
# ls -l /dev/vcs[6789]
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 6 Apr  1 22:21 /dev/vcs6
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 7 Apr  1 23:42 /dev/vcs7
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 9 Apr  1 23:42 /dev/vcs9
# deallocvt 7
# ls -l /dev/vcs[6789]
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 6 Apr  1 22:21 /dev/vcs6
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 9 Apr  1 23:42 /dev/vcs9
# deallocvt 9
# ls -l /dev/vcs[6789]
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 6 Apr  1 22:21 /dev/vcs6

>>> The offending qemu command line args appear to be -vga none -display
>>> none.  I assume I have "CGA" because it's the fallback case in
>>> vgacon.c if nothing matches.
>>
>> Hehe, blast from the past. :) If you give kvm a VGA device, it all works fine?
>
> I just tried it.  setfont succeeds, and the VGA device matches
> /dev/vcs's contents.

Ah, nice.

If we figure out some dummy font-related call to check if the kernel
supports font handling at all, we could just add that to
vconsole-setup, I guess.

Kay