[kbd] mapscrn: cannot open map file _8859-15_

Raphael Yoshimura raphael.yoshimura at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 04:53:48 MSK 2012

Hello all,
I'm having an annoying issue with kbd that I can't seem to resolve:
When I boot, during the boot screen after GRUB I see an error saying:
"mapscrn: cannot open map file _8859-15_"

I'm using Mageia 2 Linux and my secondary language is Bulgarian.

This is how my /etc/sysconfig/i18n looked like;

SYSFONTACM=8859-15
> LANGUAGE=en_US:en
> LC_ADDRESS=bg_BG
> LC_COLLATE=en_US
> LC_NAME=bg_BG
> LC_NUMERIC=bg_BG
> LC_MEASUREMENT=bg_BG
> LC_TIME=en_US
> LANG=en_US
> LC_IDENTIFICATION=bg_BG
> LC_MESSAGES=en_US
> LC_CTYPE=en_US
> LC_TELEPHONE=bg_BG

I was having unicode issues aside, so when I enabled UTF-8 from Mageia
Control Center, the first line disappeared. Now it looks like this.

LANGUAGE=en_US:en
> LC_ADDRESS=bg_BG
> LC_COLLATE=en_US
> LC_NAME=bg_BG
> LC_NUMERIC=bg_BG
> LC_MEASUREMENT=bg_BG
> LC_TIME=en_US
> LANG=en_US
> LC_IDENTIFICATION=bg_BG
> LC_MESSAGES=en_US
> LC_CTYPE=en_US
> LC_TELEPHONE=bg_BG

However the error still exists.

One person running Archlinux on initramfs solved his issue this way:

removed the keymap HOOK in the configuration file / etc / mkinitcpio.conf
> and regenerated the initramfs

However I'm not running Archlinux, I don't have a /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and
I'm on a ext4 not an initramfs.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
R.Y.