[kbd] Please support narrow no-break space (U+202F)

Nicolas Delvaux nicolas.delvaux at gmx.com
Sun Aug 29 17:50:06 UTC 2010

Le dimanche 29 août 2010 à 16:03 +0400, Alexey Gladkov a écrit :

> You suggest to replace different types of whitespace symbols with
> 0x20.
>
> Have I understood you correctly?

Indeed.

The narrow non-break-space char is supposed to be the same as the
non-break space char except that it's half the width (well, some say
it's more some say it's less... 50% is a fair compromise I think ;-))
AFAIK, kbd is only used with monospaced font so using 0x20 as a fallback
is ok I think.

Some say that characters have semantics, and if this semantic includes
width restrictions, they should be preserved even with monospaced fonts.
But this may be harder to implement, so using 0x20 is sufficient (and
especially because there isn't any support of nnbsp in kbd right now).

Of course it would be better if nnbsp were at least "unbreakable" but,
with the current kbd, even non-break spaces break (because they are
mapped to 0x20). Perhaps this is by design, I don't know.

Regards,
Nicolas