[devel] I: gtkdocize support in autoreconf

Dmitry V. Levin ldv на altlinux.org
Вс Янв 10 21:45:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 03:46:09AM +0300, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
[...]
> Due to some strange logic implemented in gtkdocize (as of
> gtk-doc-1.13-alt1), it won't update gtk-doc.m4 file unless it finds an
> AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR specifying where to install this file.  Unlike
> autotools utilities, gtkdocize won't fall back to default macro location.
>
> As a result, if your package carries own outdated copy of gtk-doc.m4 and
> configure.ac doesn't contain an AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR invocation in form
> suitable for gtkdocize, then gtkdocize won't help you, unless you remove
> this outdated gtk-doc.m4 copy from your package.

Another problem with gtkdocize is that it fails to detect a GTK_DOC_CHECK
invocation sometimes while autoreconf does this kind of work better.

For example, here is an excerpt from evolution-exchange-2.28.1-alt1 build
log:
autoreconf-default: running: gtkdocize
gtkdocize: GTK_DOC_CHECK not called in configure.ac
autoreconf-default: gtkdocize failed with exit status: 1

And here is an excerpt from evolution-exchange/configure.ac:

dnl Putting a space before the macro call here makes gnome-autogen not
dnl notice it, which makes it not run gtkdocize and copy gtk-doc.make
dnl into the top level where I don't want it.
 GTK_DOC_CHECK([1.0])

Meaningful leading whitespace in configure.ac is even more ugly than
meaningful comments.

Please somebody file a bug to these ignorant people and explain them
how to check for keywords and how to use AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR.

--
ldv