[devel] symbols into dependencies

Damir Shayhutdinov damir at altlinux.org
Mon Nov 16 12:01:03 UTC 2009

> On the other hand, we can simply assume that symbols should not be moved
> across the libraries.  The worst thing that can happen then (if a symbol
> does move) is that we need to rebuild a bunch of packages, only to
> relink their binaries and update dependencies.
>
> However, note that, as per tgetent, the binaries are actually going to
> change upon relinking.  This indicates that the ABI has changed, too.
> So the rebuild is not completely useless.

Have you thought about C++ libraries and their mangling? And the fact
that many of C++ exported symbols in such libraries are not, in fact,
the part of the API, they are only exported because C++ cannot control
their visibility on the ELF symbol level. I'm talking about private
methods of classes.

Or C++ libraries aren't worthy enough to consider?