[devel] symbols into dependencies

Alexey Tourbin at at altlinux.ru
Mon Nov 16 11:36:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 01:48:28PM +0300, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:46:01PM +0300, Sergey Vlasov wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 03:44:38AM +0300, Alexey Tourbin wrote:
> > > When a symbol is moved to another library, some programs might need
> > > relinking, while some might still work.
> > >
> > > Let's see what happens if a symbol is moved from libA to libB.  The
> > > programs that use the symbol and linked only to libA go broke, right?
> >
> > But if libA is linked with libB, the symbol will still be available
> > even for such programs.
>
> Yes, that was exactly the case with the tgetent migration.
>
> What I want to highlight here is that our upcoming ELF deps should not
> break valid symbol migrations.

On the other hand, we can simply assume that symbols should not be moved
across the libraries.  The worst thing that can happen then (if a symbol
does move) is that we need to rebuild a bunch of packages, only to
relink their binaries and update dependencies.

However, note that, as per tgetent, the binaries are actually going to
change upon relinking.  This indicates that the ABI has changed, too.
So the rebuild is not completely useless.