[devel] I: man-pages became non-free

Dmitry V. Levin =?iso-8859-1?q?ldv_=CE=C1_altlinux=2Eorg?=
Пн Фев 23 15:25:45 MSK 2004

----- Forwarded message from Martin Schulze <joey на infodrom.org> -----

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:09:31 +0100
From: Martin Schulze <joey на infodrom.org>
Subject: Warning: man-pages became non-free

Hi,

this is just a warning for those of you who shipt Free Software that
is not contaminated by non-free components.  The man-pages project
became inherently non-free as of version 1.65 by the inclusion of
POSIX manpages.  It's license (not included in the package, though)
permits redistribution but no modifications, which is not compatible
with any idea of Free Software.

Please see <http://linuxpr.com/releases/6599.html> for an official
announcement of The Open Group and IEEE.

For Debian I'm stripping the non-free POSIX components off of man-pages
and repackage it.  Thank got the manpages are collected in three
directories distinct from the rest of man-pages, so stripping is not
too hard.

There's also a little thread on the debian-legal list, where I hoped
that people would disagree with me.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal-0402/msg00190.html

Regards,

	Joey

--
Everybody talks about it, but nobody does anything about it!  -- Mark Twain

ldv