[Comm-en] Adding XFCE4 to p9 GNUStep install

David davidb at disroot.org
Sat Jan 22 02:07:05 MSK 2022

January 21, 2022 3:57 PM, "Michael Shigorin" <mike at altlinux.org> wrote:

> Erm, just selecting the text and pasting it would be better yet
> as I could have quoted it then :-)

My apologies.  I'll do better next time. :)

> This way, or remove gnustep-gworkspace; a file conflict like this
> should be marked explicitly in the package headers, and this was
> already spotted and fixed in Sisyphus last year (so hit p10):
> http://bugzilla.altlinux.org/40073

Yes, one of dangers of not running the latest version.  But, I knew it was an easy fix.

> Post a screenshot -- or better yet, error message text --
> and maybe have a look at "rpm -qa | grep -i policy" output;
> just a guess but I'd try removing xfce-polkit if it's not
> needed (OTOH there's a polkit-sysvinit package that can be
> installed for that matter -- this one contains configuration
> to allow users in "xgrp" group control network and media
> on their sysv-based system running polkit).

Thank you, Michael!  I will give this a try the next time I have access to the PC.  My wife is busy exploring her new desktop and configuring everything to her liking.

> BTW, you can avoid double downloads by copying /var/cache/apt/
> contents over between the systems (or setting up a caching proxy
> for apt if there's a system that serves as a router anyways and
> it has some storage).

Thanks so much for mentioning this and reminding me about it!  I completely forgot about this ability to transfer downloaded packages between systems.