[Comm-en] Adding XFCE4 to p9 GNUStep install

Michael Shigorin mike at altlinux.org
Fri Jan 21 18:40:29 MSK 2022

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 03:20:34AM +0000, David wrote:
> I have found xfce4-full in the p9 repository, but I want to
> make sure that this is the best way of adding XFCE to the
> system.

Should be good enough but speaking of bandwidth,
xfce4-regular should pull in a (considerable) subset
of those required by xfce4-full, and it's what included
into xfce image flavour:

http://git.altlinux.org/gears/m/mkimage-profiles.git?p=mkimage-profiles.git;a=blob;f=conf.d/regular.mk;h=01335155891ab2a709e8e88365a358bd9e958584;hb=e7735316e7c71cda64eeb44d4a25dae6081aed39#l152
http://git.altlinux.org/gears/m/mkimage-profiles.git?p=mkimage-profiles.git;a=blob;f=conf.d/mixin.mk;h=19bb751fa99a2263c2fe25c86781fbef7d220000;hb=e7735316e7c71cda64eeb44d4a25dae6081aed39#l103

> If there's a better selection of Synaptic packages to achieve
> my goal, could someone please let me know?  I've also found
> some ALT-Linux XFCE4 branding packages in Synaptic.  Are any of
> these recommended to install along with the standard XFCE4
> packages?

The second link above shows that these packages get into xfce
based image:

  xfce4-regular xreader xdg-user-dirs-gtk light-locker
  pavucontrol xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin xfce-polkit

Installing branding-alt-starterkit-xfce-settings might
make sense too (it's pretty tiny, 18k).

---
 103 mixin/xfce-base: use/x11/xfce +nm-gtk \
 104         use/fonts/ttf/redhat use/fonts/ttf/google/extra
 105         @$(call add,THE_BRANDING,xfce-settings)
 106         @$(call add,THE_PACKAGES,xfce4-regular)
 107         @$(call add,THE_PACKAGES,xreader)
 108         @$(call add,THE_PACKAGES,xdg-user-dirs-gtk)
 109
 110 mixin/regular-xfce: mixin/xfce-base use/domain-client +pulse
 111         @$(call add,THE_PACKAGES,light-locker pavucontrol)
 112         @$(call add,THE_PACKAGES,xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin xfce-polkit)
--- conf.d/mixin.mk

--