[Comm-en] Using RPM cache on a second ALT-Linux system

Michael Shigorin mike at altlinux.org
Tue Aug 2 09:35:01 MSK 2022

On Mon, Aug 01, 2022 at 09:07:13PM -0600, Chorus Grove wrote:
> I have limited bandwidth and I would like to know how to use
> the RPM cache, which I have on one PC with ALT Linux, on
> another PC with the same version of ALT Linux installed.
> Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this, if possible?

You can just rsync /var/cache/apt/archives/ between the systems
-- if you don't "--delete" then these will even sum up.

This can be mediated with a flashdive or portable HDD too.

> This way, if I upgrade one PC, I can then use those packages on
> the other PC without having to download them a second time.

If both PCs are on the same network, running caching proxy
for apt might be preferable -- here's a page in Russian:

http://altlinux.org/Apt/NginxAsCache

here's Yandex translation:

http://translated.turbopages.org/proxy_u/ru-en.en.b4a1abe2-62e8c573-5b942cb1-74722d776562/https/www.altlinux.org/Apt/NginxAsCache

--