[Comm-en] Introduction

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Tue May 19 21:00:59 MSD 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 03:31:28PM +0300, Alex Negulescu wrote:
> Try downloading the bootable image located at
> http://mirror.yandex.ru/altlinux/4.1/Desktop/4.1.1/iso/altlinux-4.1.1-desktop-i586-install-flash.img.gz
> ftp://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/4.1/Desktop/4.1.1/iso/altlinux-4.1.1-desktop-i586-install-flash.img.gz
> "Burn" it to flash with: dd
> if=altlinux-4.1.0-desktop-i586-install-flash.img of=/dev/sdX

gunzip first. :)

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 01:11:37PM +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> >Media read failures, hence either DVDRW disk is going to trash
> >or another DVDR should be used with this drive (or burn those
> >with some additional speed limit).
> Well, I reburnt the CD just in case and double-checked
> ("Verify" in K3B exited with a solemn trumpet sound :oD).
> And yes, MD5SUM was also OK.
>
> I gave the install another spin... and had the exact same errors.

Ouch.  Could you also bother yourself with another attempt,
then doing dmesg > /tmp/dmesg and posting pastebin or mailing the
file offlist to me?  Hope it's not the problem with HDD but
stupid things come overlooked first...

> What's curious: CentOS 5, Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows XP install
> just fine on the same machine, so there's no sign of a dying
> DVD reader either.  Which leaves me clueless.

I'm glad for the system but so far have no explanations but
media readability for this exact kind of errors.  Would also try
to perform dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/null bs=1M from any Linux
already installed, just to put DVD subsystem outside the problem
equation.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>