[Comm-en] Introduction

Alex Negulescu a at wdu.ro
Tue May 19 16:31:28 MSD 2009

Hello,

Try downloading the bootable image located at

http://mirror.yandex.ru/altlinux/4.1/Desktop/4.1.1/iso/altlinux-4.1.1-desktop-i586-install-flash.img.gz
ftp://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/4.1/Desktop/4.1.1/iso/altlinux-4.1.1-desktop-i586-install-flash.img.gz

"Burn" it to flash with: dd
if=altlinux-4.1.0-desktop-i586-install-flash.img of=/dev/sdX

Usually the flashdisk won't give you errors... or it will, if the files
have problems.

Or make your own bootable usb stick with ALT Linux [any-version]
Some small tips:
- you need to use syslinux/loadlin/grub4dos to make the usb bootable
- you need to have the following copied from the dvd:

        * directory ALTLinux
        * directory Metadata
        * directory syslinux
        * the install image altinst (should be put in the root of the
          usb disk)
        * eventually the live image and the rescue image

For info regarding *syslinux*:
http://freesource.info/wiki/AltLinux/Sisyphus/admin/bootflash/InstallFlash
It is in russian, but the lines covering what u need are commands.

Info regarding *grub2dos*:
http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/install_linux.htm#linux4
Practically after using bootlace.com you have to copy grldr and create
menu.lst in the root of the partition (does not matter where you
install, MBR or partition, I use MBR)

Example menu.lst for grub:

    color black/red yellow/red
    timeout 60
    default 0

    title Boot from Hard Drive
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

    title --------------------
    root

    title ALTLinux Desktop 4.1 Installation
    find --set-root /syslinux/alt/vmlinuz
    kernel /syslinux/alt/vmlinuz automatic=method:disk,uuid:743C-59D0
    ramdisk_size=65536 stagename=altinst splash=silent showopts
    initrd /syslinux/alt/full.cz

    title ALTLinux Desktop 4.1 Rescue Mode
    find --set-root /syslinux/alt/vmlinuz
    kernel /syslinux/alt/vmlinuz lowmem
    automatic=method:disk,uuid:743C-59D0 fastboot stagename=rescue showopts
    initrd /syslinux/alt/full.cz

    title ALTLinux Desktop 4.1 LIVE
    find --set-root /syslinux/alt/vmlinuz
    kernel /syslinux/alt/vmlinuz lowmem
    automatic=method:disk,uuid:743C-59D0 fastboot stagename=live
    splash=silent showopts
    initrd /syslinux/alt/full.cz

Be sure to write your UUID correctly. Replace 743C-59D0 with your uuid.
You can find it out by:

tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 (replace sda1 with your stick partition)
blkid
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

Hoping I helped,

Alex