[Comm-en] Introduction

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sun May 17 13:19:37 MSD 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:04:13AM +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> I'm an Austrian IT consultant living in Montpezat, South France, and a
> 100% GNU/Linux user since 2001 (Slackware, Debian, CentOS mainly).
> Some time ago, I read a review about ALT Linux Desktop in the german
> (paper) magazine Linux User, and I decided to give it a spin. Now I
> found the time, and I installed ALT 4.1.1 Desktop on one of my machines,
> and let me state that I'm *very* impressed.

Wow!  Anyways, willkommen.

Would be interesting to know what exactly was impressive,
and what might have tried to spoil that.

> Now my main concern is documentation and/or support.

It's rather valid.

> Unfortunately I don't speak Russian. I'm very fluent in german
> (my mother language), french and english, but there don't seem
> to be any docs around.

There's an English wiki: http://en.altlinux.org
which is however far behind the Russian one
(http://www.altlinux.org).

> How about the mailing list. Is this list still active?

More or less; over the years it was somewhere near this level of
activity, or below it, so I'd say now it's rather "more".

Just for comparison, Russian-spoken ones are a bit traffickey:
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.altlinux.community.english
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.altlinux.community
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.altlinux.sysadmins
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.altlinux.hardware
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.altlinux.sisyphus
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.altlinux.devel

Guess it might help to ask things here and then decide
whether/how to post 'em to the wiki, probably locating
and translating/adapting preexisting Russian articles.

> Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Well, here in Kiev, Ukraine it's a bit rainy today.
Yesterday was perfectly fine though.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>