[Comm-en] Installing Local Packages?

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Wed Sep 14 22:58:33 MSD 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 11:47:34AM -0400, Rachel Ramey wrote:
> My modem is a 14F1; 2005.  I tried the lspci command as
> instructed yesterday, and it did not produce anything; not even
> an error message.  I'm pretty new to Linux and don't understand
> all the command codes yet, so suggestions for alternate ways of
> entering the lspci command would be appreciated. :) I have some
> information jotted down already from trying to set up the modem
> on the last distro I tried; perhaps some of it is the same
> information?

(sorry for late reply -- not much experience with softmodems on
my part, the one in notebook Just Worked, so hoped someone
knowing Conexant ones better would answer)

You could just paste or write down/retype the output of

lspci | grep Comm

PS regarding the original question, seems everything should be
already in place in case of Compact/Junior 2.3 and up; and FYI:
installing downloaded binary kernel packages is somewhat tricky
in that they are inherently incompatible with kernels other than
exactly the ones they were compiled for (well.... this is a bit
overstated but quirks to get a binary module to work with given
binary kernel in general case are just that -- quirks).

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>
 ----       visit our conference (Oct 1):