[Comm-en] MIME definitions used by Firefox

Aaron McDonald wmcdona89 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 04:33:40 MSK 2005

Did Alt Linux recently discontinue use of the update-mime command? From what
I can tell, this program is used to update mailcap files.

Here's a little background as to why I'm asking the question:
After much investigation and research today I discovered that some of the
default applications that Firefox is using are from the .mailcap file in my
home directory. This file was last modified on Dec. 31st 2004 and it
contains useful MIME definitions for OpenOffice.org. If I remove this file,
Firefox no longer has these MIME definitions. The update-desktop-database
command creates /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache which Firefox also
uses, but this file doesn't contain any of the OpenOffice.org definitions.

So, my questions are:
Where did my .mailcap file come from?
and
What OpenOffice.org files need to be moved to /usr/share/applications/ so
that the OpenOffice.org definitions are in mimeinfo.cache?

Thanks,
Aaron