[Comm-en] Re: Community-en Digest, Vol 16, Issue 1

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sat Sep 11 18:50:38 MSD 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 03:18:14PM -0600, D&J Bouley wrote:
> To help further clarify the situation, the repositories
> selected are the defaults:
> ftp://ftp.altlinux.com/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/Compact/2.3/
> ftp://updates.altlinux.com/
> ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/altlinux/updates/
> ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/unix/linux/altlinux/updates/
> That's all I see selected in the table.
> These requested updates that Synaptic wanted to do came right
> after I installed Compact 2.3 on my system and did the first
> "check for updates."

Ugh.  Maybe getting mirrors off the list to minimize the
potential packagelist mixup possibility and leaving
*.altlinux.com would helpdetermine whether the updates are broken
(inconsistent with what came with Compact in terms of changing
the package set dependencies) or just mirrors somehow lagging.

> The reason I ask about the Junior 2.3 repository is that
> there's not much in extra applications available in the Compact
> repositories.

Yep.  But that's exactly its purpose -- not to overwhelm. :)

> In order to get my HP 3-in-1 printer working I had to add the
> "Classic" repository to find the hpoj and hpijs drivers.

Ouch!  Not "Classic" but "Sisyphus/classic"!  And "Sisyphus"
means "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!" :-)

Contrib is the rest of Sisyphus snapshot when Compact was branched
off for release stabilization.  So it may not have the newest
software (with its changed dependencies and new bugs) but it is
compatible with Compact in terms of library base, etc.

> There's also other apps that I have become partial to (like
> BlueFish, GFTP, and others) that are also not in the Compact
> 2.3 repositories.

They are, but there are just more repos. :)

> As I've mentioned before, I know taking apps from other
> repositories is hazardous and I'd much rather find them in
> repositories made for Compact/Junior 2.3 if available.

Well, so try the instructions in my previous message to hook up
the contribs -- hope you'll enjoy that; but Synaptic *will* get
slower with those 4564 more packages joining mere 902 of Compact
:-)

PS: in fact, we're trying to establish a list for people who do
package backports from current development branch back to (older)
releases they use in production (there are Master 2.0 systems
being supported); if anyone here ever gets inclined, contact me
to consider making English the official language of that list.

"Gets inclined" presumes "uses unstable branch being sort of
seasoned user/developer and also has some quantity of systems in
production running stable releases where users or the
administrator may benefit from those backports".

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>