[Comm-en] Re: WindowMaker Resolutions and Dual Processor compat.

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sat Oct 16 14:06:25 MSD 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 03:03:04PM -0600, D&J Bouley wrote:
> I'm not too clear about the installing of SMP manually.  Well,
> quite frankly, I just don't know enough about it.

It's about installing appropriate kernel packages.

The current package set for uniprocessor can be determined by:

rpm -qa | grep kernel.*std-up

Then we can either install every corresponding std-smp package
(with e.g. synaptic) or think whether we have that particular
softmodem or SCSI controller. :)

The safe side is installing kernel-*-std-smp*.rpm, that should be
done by installing kernel-complete-std-smp which pulls them in
via dependencies.

> Without making you write an entire instruction manual, are
> there some steps I sould be aware of if I was to try and help
> my co-worker install Compact 2.3 on his system?

Well it should install anyways, but driving a single processor on
a multiprocessor system is a shame so probably after UP install
we get back there with SMP details.

Again -- sorry, this just shouldn't have been. *sigh*

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>