[Comm-en] Install issue

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Wed Feb 11 00:36:03 MSK 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 02:00:07PM -0700, James F. wrote:
> I just installed altlinux jr. 2.2. It went nice and smooth. It picked up
> the Partition I made for it, set up the network, etc... with no
> problem.  Then came the time when we configure X. It gives me
> this error: Xfree86 -rpm not found.
> Firstly I used apt-get to update the distro. I'm now running
> master 2.2 (orange)

The problem is that XFree86 dated back then didn't support R9200
at all.

> Xfree86config
> I was told there was no such command.

Yes, there's XFdrake for the time being ;-)

> ASUS ATI Radeon 9200 se
> So what do I do?

You can either:

- get a set of XFree86-4.3.0 packages backported to Master 2.2:
  ftp://212.13.100.3/pub/shrek/ALTLinux/master22/RPMS.master/
  (Shrel's collection, referenced at http://search.altlinux.ru
  and approved by numerous users) and upgrade to them:

  rpm -Fvh XFree86*-4.3.0-alt7.M22*

  then run XFdrake to set it up.  If it fails, write back here
  for someone with Radeon to hand you an /etc/X11/XF86Config-4,
  not to bother with teaching an old dog (specifically, year's
  old hardware detection library) new tricks (specifically, newer
  PCI IDs to then-unknown driver names mapping).

- or get yourself Compact-2.3 beta which supports recent Radeon
  and GeForce cards but is still beta, and there's no matching
  Master distro (yet); while you can use the whole Sisyphus
  repository with that and right now they're mostly synced, it's
  considered unstable.

I'd try the options in this order.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>