[Comm-en] Install issue

James F. anathema890 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:00:07 MSK 2004

Hi all,
I just installed altlinux jr. 2.2. It went nice and smooth. It picked up the
Partition I made for it, set up the network, etc... with no problem. Then
came the time when we configure X. It gives me this error: Xfree86 -rpm not
found.
So I get into the text based console Linux with no GUI. I have a very
limited Linux knowledge so I did the following things to fix this problem:

Firstly I used apt-get to update the distro. I'm now running master 2.2
(orange)

Xfree86config

I was told there was no such command.

startx

I got this:

Xauth: Creating new authority file /root/.xauthority
Xauth: Creating new authority file /root/.xauthority
execue failed for /etc/x11/x err no 2 giving up
xinit: No such file or directory (err no 2)
unable to connect to x server
xinit: No such process (err no 3) server error

Here's my system:
P4 2.0 ghz
768 megs of ram
ASUS ATI Radeon 9200 se