[Comm-en] Re: installing src.RPMs

Alexey Tourbin at at altlinux.ru
Thu Nov 13 15:50:41 MSK 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:24:02PM +0200, Dinu Ioan wrote:
> Hello!
> I am new to ALT Linux and one problem I encountered is:
> how can install a package.src.rpm because no option from the man pages
> seems to work ( I get the message : No such file or directory ).

Hello,

First of all, you should have understood that package.src.rpm is a
source package that is intended to be rebuilt in order to produce binary
(or noarch) packages for installation.

To build source packages, you need rpm-build package installed.
Otherwise you will get "No such file or directory" message just as you
described.  The best way to install rpm-build package is with apt-get,
since prerequisites like gcc and glibc-devel also have to be installed.

With rpm-build installed, source package installation is done just as
normal binary package installation:

$ rpm -ivh packages.src.rpm

Source file will be placed under ~/RPM hierarchy.