[Comm-en] Followup AltJr2.2 dual boot with Mdk 9.1

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sat Jul 12 22:08:30 MSD 2003

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 11:34:53AM -0600, tama4 wrote:
> Michael, just a follow up to the problems posted earlier with the
> attempt at a dual boot with a user of Mandrake 9.1:

Thanks.

> "Chadd, thanks for following up. I have a GeForce FX 5200 which
> is relatively new and probably the source of the problem.

Definitely.

> Re the install aborting, what actually happened is I would get
> the popup window reporting the no XFree rpm and asking if I
> wanted to try again or abort.

It was observed in exactly that case, that's why I suspected it.

> I retried several times and kept getting the same error message
> so I finally aborted.

Yep.  It just didn't hold the card for being "supported by nvidia
(or any other known) driver".

_Probably_ trying to hand-pick some other nvidia card could do,
but that's a hassle that shouldn't.

> Was able to install XFree using either apt-get or urpmi, can't
> recall which. I ran XFdrake which worked but I was unable to
> configure a working X configuration.

Due to the same missing PCI ID -> driver info.

> Tried installing the nvidia drivers but apparently the kernel
> sources are not included on the alt linux cds.

Well they aren't needed -- nvidia drivers are already there
(NVIDIA_*i586.rpm)

> Got an error message re no binutils so the nvidia driver
> program was unable to compile the kernel.

Sure.  But again, it was _already_ included precompiled :)

> Tried installing binutils with both urpmi and apt-get, but no
> dice, the package was not found and apparently it's not on the
> install cds or otherwise available.

Yes, these are available on CD2 which can be downoaded when
needed.

> Re the lilo problem, I beleive i was getting the same error
> messages when I would try to restore mandrake's lilo that I
> would get if I tried to restore mdk 9.1 lilo using an mdk 9.0
> install cd1.

Ugh.  These usually need more robust information, and it's
somewhat hard to collect in place too.  Multi-distro is somewhat
advanced topic anyways =)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>