[Comm-en] Followup AltJr2.2 dual boot with Mdk 9.1

tama4 tama4 at amnet.co.cr
Sat Jul 12 21:34:53 MSD 2003

Michael, just a follow up to the problems posted earlier with the
attempt at a dual boot with a user of Mandrake 9.1:

"Chadd, thanks for following up. I have a GeForce FX 5200 which is
relatively new and probably the source of the problem. Re the install
aborting, what actually happened is I would get the popup window
reporting the no XFree rpm and asking if I wanted to try again or abort.
I retried several times and kept getting the same error message so I
finally aborted. Tried reinstalling again and this time made a boot
floppy. Got the same result re configuring X, aborted, and rebooted with
the floppy to a command line. Was able to install XFree using either
apt-get or urpmi, can't recall which. I ran XFdrake which worked but I
was unable to configure a working X configuration. Tried installing the
nvidia drivers but apparently the kernel sources are not included on the
alt linux cds. Got an error message re no binutils so the nvidia driver
program was unable to compile the kernel. Tried installing binutils with
both urpmi and apt-get, but no dice, the package was not found and
apparently it's not on the install cds or otherwise available.
Re the lilo problem, I beleive i was getting the same error messages
when I would try to restore mandrake's lilo that I would get if I tried
to restore mdk 9.1 lilo using an mdk 9.0 install cd1. That's what I
meant by the rescue program's confusion. I think it sees the alt linux
install as a new mandrake install and refuses to load the mdk9.1 lilo.
Was able to bail out like I did last time and get back to mdk9.1 lilo.
If you wish to pass this info on, feel free to do so if you beleive it
would be of help to others. Thanks for your interest and concern."