[Comm-en] differences between junior & master

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Tue Apr 15 11:00:38 MSD 2003

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 07:59:30AM +0200, Guy wrote:
> But I'm not sure what version I should install: the Junior or
> the Master?

Well, you can start with Junior and then gradually turn it into
Master if and when you want :-)

> Can someone tell me what the differences are ?
> I know, the Junior edition comes on 2 CD's and the Master on 9
> (or 8 if downloaded)

Development and server part mostly belongs to Master since Junior
itself is only 1CD, and its second disk is a subset of Master's
development packages in essence.

> Is the only difference the number of cd's (and thus the number
> of apps)?  If so, I suppose I can install the Junior edition
> and get the apps of cd 3-8 (not 9 of course, because these are
> commercial ones) with the Synaptic tool or is/are there other
> difference(s) ?

Exactly.

Junior == workstation (upgradable)
Master == ws/server/developer's seat

Free part of CD9 is also the same updates/fixes as found on FTP
I believe.

> Another question: Will there ever come an English user manual?

Umm... let the official team answer that :)

> I'm not that good in Russian, you know ;-)

;-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>