[room] Fwd: Re: [school-discuss] The BS Alliance

Michael Shigorin =?iso-8859-1?q?mike_=CE=C1_osdn=2Eorg=2Eua?=
Вт Дек 4 17:52:21 MSK 2007

Вот так вот.

----- Forwarded message from Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt/gmail.com> -----

Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:00:09 -0800
From: "Christian Einfeldt" <einfeldt/gmail.com>
To: schoolforge-discuss/schoolforge.net
Subject: Re: [school-discuss] The BS Alliance
Cc: "Joel Kahn" <jj2kk4/yahoo.com>

hi

On Dec 2, 2007 3:16 AM, Joel Kahn <jj2kk4/yahoo.com> wrote:

> I figure that at least some of you have
> already seen the article entitled
> "Software Piracy Fight Makes Enemies"

IMHO, schools are going to play a big part in bringing about a real world
digital tipping point.  At least that is the point that we are going to be
making in the Digital Tipping Point film.

I am a volunteer supporting a public middle school in San Francisco with
Free Open Source Software, and we have filmed our work there as part of the
DTP film.  We are giving away all of our footage on-line under a Creative
Commons Attribute ShareAlike license (cc by-SA).

We interviewed the superintendent of the Portland Public School District,
who talked about Microsoft's dirty deeds there.  Basically, the BSA demanded
an audit pursuant to the Microsoft EULA.  The audit alone would have cost
the Portland District $100,000.00.  Microsoft just *happened* to send out
its sales rep at the same time and offered to make the whole thing go away
if the school district would just pony up for new licenses.

The PPSD told Microsoft no, and it became such a press issue, that Microsoft
backed off, and as a result, the PPSD increased its FOSS usage to the point
where many schools in the PPSD have no Microsoft products at all.

---
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point.

 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike на altlinux.ru>