[room] Fwd: Ubuntu in the news: Libervis becomes more balanced in the arguments against Ubuntu, actually positive

Michael Shigorin =?iso-8859-1?q?mike_=CE=C1_osdn=2Eorg=2Eua?=
Ср Сен 28 19:08:34 MSD 2005

----- Forwarded message from Christian Jensen <cj2003/debian-news.net> -----

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:04:26 +0200
From: Christian Jensen <cj2003/debian-news.net>
To: Sounder <sounder/lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Ubuntu in the news: Libervis becomes more balanced in the arguments against Ubuntu, actually positive

Apologies that I don't link directly to Libervis.com, but I'm quite
handicapped through VPN - the news is here at Debian-News:

http://debian-news.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=200

Here's a good example from the it:
Quote:

   Fork or not?

   According to the current results of our poll, the community is far
   from agreeable on the answer to this question. I would say that it
   is so because they are searching for the wrong thing or maybe the
   question just seems to mandate that the answer should be merely
   "yes" or "no", that is, "it's a fork" or "it's a derivate". I think
   that the right answer would be neither or in the same sense *both*.
   What Ubuntu is, is a Debian *based* GNU/Linux distro, but that
   doesn't essentially make it neither a fork or a derivate if you'd
   closely follow the meaning of those two.

   Good part of the commentators would say something I tend to agree
   with as the best possible answer; Ubuntu is a fork of Debian release
   cycle and derivate of the rest (the actual package management system
   and the unstable package repository). This answer also makes sense
   particularly considering that the strictness of Ubuntu six month
   release cycle actually is the very source of any incompatibility
   issues that arise. As Ubuntu "snapshots" Debian unstable to make a
   new release of it, Debian unstable itself still continues to evolve
   essentially diverging itself from the point at which it was when the
   snapshot has been made and thus from the snapshot and its outcome;
   the new Ubuntu release. The only bridge remaining as a possible
   compatibility saviour are all the patches that Ubuntu sends back,
   but their implementation isn't ensured as it depends on debian
   maintainers' and their decision of whether the recieved patch fits
   Debian and it's goals or not.

--
Best regards

Christian Jensen