[room] Fwd: Re: "ask Mako": doing just that

Michael Shigorin =?iso-8859-1?q?mike_=CE=C1_osdn=2Eorg=2Eua?=
Вт Окт 4 19:12:27 MSD 2005

	Здравствуйте.
"However, neither licensing nor the availability of source code
gives free software its competitive edge. Licensing and source
are merely means toward an end: the participation of many
individuals and groups in the development, testing, quality
assurance and advocacy of software."

Интересная статья.

----- Forwarded message from "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako/ubuntu.com> -----

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:46:44 -0400
From: "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako/ubuntu.com>
To: sounder/lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: "ask Mako": doing just that

<quote who="Michael Shigorin" date="Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 06:48:26PM +0300">
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 04:33:24PM +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> > Mixing  funding  with  volunteer  work raises all sorts of
> > issues. Ask Mako to tell you about the experiment that showed
> > that this difficulty might   be   hard-wired  into  our  genes
> > -  there  are  deep  social difficulties  with  projects  that
> > blend  full  time  paid  work with volunteer efforts.
>
> I'd like to accept this proposal and ask Benjamin -- what it was?
> (if the answer's better personal, so be it; although I doubt that)

About six months ago, I wrote up a piece on funding volunteer free
software projects that is being alluded to here:

  http://mako.cc/writing/funding_volunteers/funding_volunteers.html

In particular, there was some academic work on mixing volunteerism and
commercial work that I cited in that paper. If you can't get access to
the documents or journal articles I cited off list and you really want
to read them, please contact me offlist and I can try to get you
copies.

Regards,
Mako

--