[sisyphus] [JT] xmms: священная корова форева ;-P

Michael Shigorin =?iso-8859-1?q?mike_=CE=C1_osdn=2Eorg=2Eua?=
Пт Авг 31 21:04:18 MSD 2007

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 03:38:40PM +0000, I wrote:
> Пока я не вижу достойной замены xmms, выноса не допущу! :]

Вот и не я один такой старомодный насчёт всяких audacious:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.general/116761

  > It handles SIGTERM gracefully. That's not broken. SIGTERM is not

  Ok, I confused it with SIGINT. But let me give you a short walk-trough
  from the perspective of a potential user:

  ---
  $ audacious /data
   - a gray window appears, instead of the player. Ookay, let's wait few
     seconds for the app to initialize. Waiting 10 seconds. 20. 30. XMMS
     would be playing already (this is measured!).
   - Okay, examining what this stupid window is good for. Propably for
     error messages, but there is nothing, and the window has no title.
   - I change to the terminal and try to kill with with Ctrl-C. I cannot,
     because this window steals the WM focus every second. First WTF.
     Well, I manage to press Ctrl-C quickly. It says it received SIGINT
     and is going to terminate. Seems to have stoped stealing the focus.
     Great, but...
   - ... it does not stop scanning. The stupid window is still there and
     the app does not die. Second WTF.
   - Well, now it steals focus every 10-20 seconds, while I am typing this
     text. Third WTF.
   - Enough, doing "killall audacious".
     The thing still does not die. Any my harddisks still suffers.
     Fourth WTF.
   - "killall -9 audacious"
     Thanks, worked. Enough of this crap.
  ---

  So, that's it. The user experience is a disaster, like it or not. It
  shows childhood diseases I have not expected in a serious application
  for daily use, not even talking about replacement for the "good old
  XMMS".

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike на altlinux.ru>