[sisyphus] [petero2@: Re: Newbie questions (dual layer DVD with UDF)]

Konstantin A. Lepikhov =?iso-8859-1?q?lakostis_=CE=C1_anti-leasure=2Eru?=
Чт Авг 11 17:18:18 MSD 2005

Hi!

Инструкция для чайников, от автора pktcdvd патча :)

PS В Сизифе все необходимые требования соблюдены (+ service udftools
делает 80% всех приготовлений сам), разве что удефф не
поправлен.

----- Forwarded message from Peter Osterlund  -----

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:17:53 +0200 (CEST)
From: Peter Osterlund <petero2@
To: Laszlo Nagy <nagylzs@
Cc: packet-writing@
Subject: Re: Newbie questions (dual layer DVD with UDF)

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Laszlo Nagy wrote:

> I would like to use my DVDRAM device with UDF packet writing.
>
> System info:
>
> dybs1 /root# uname -a
> Linux dybs1 2.6.11.4-21.7-default #1 Thu Jun 2 14:23:14 UTC 2005 i686
> i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> It is a SuSe 9.3 system.
>
> Hardware info:
>
> LG 4120B DVD drive on /dev/hdb
>
> This unit was produced about one year ago, it was the first dual-layer
> dvd drive from LG.
>
> I tried to format the disc.
>
> dybs1 /home/nagylzs# dvd+rw-format -blank /dev/hdb
> * DVD??RW/-RAM format utility by <appro на fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.10.
> * 4.7GB DVD-RW media in Sequential mode detected.
> * blanking \
>
> I do not get an error, but this program finishes within 2 seconds. Is
> this normal? Usually it took a minute to format a CDRW disc on my old
> CDRW drive.

Packet writing requires the disc to be in "restricted overwrite" mode. You
enable this mode with the command:

	dvd+rw-format -force /dev/hdb

ie, without the -blank switch. Then extend the track by writing empty data
to the disc:

	cat /dev/zero | growisofs -Z /dev/hdb=/dev/fd/0

If everything worked, dvd+rw-mediainfo should report a disc in "restricted
overwrite" mode with a track state "complete incremental" and a track size
about 2.3 million 2KB blocks big.

> I have 'mkudffs' and other programs installed but I really don't know
> how to start.

Something like this:

1. Make sure you have a new enough pktsetup program. If you run pktsetup
   without arguments, the help text should include instructions for driver
   versions < 0.2.0 and other instructions for versions >= 0.2.0. If it
   doesn't, you can get a patch from here:

	http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/packet.html

2. If you want to avoid a data corruption bug, upgrade to at least kernel
   2.6.12 or apply this patch to your current kernel:

	http://www.kernel.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7baeb6a5ccab2d472679a053e64a63ac423c3a42

3. Run

	pktsetup 0 /dev/hdb

   This will create a device file called /dev/pktcdvd/0. If this fails
   with something like "ctl open: not a directory", you may have a udev
   installation that gets in the way. Try "rm /dev/pktcdvd" and then
   execute the pktsetup command again.

4. Create a filesystem and mount it.

	mkudffs /dev/pktcdvd/0
	mkdir /mnt/somewhere
	mount /dev/pktcdvd/0 /mnt/somewhere -t udf -o rw,noatime

5. Write some files to it. If you want the filesystem to be writable by
   any user, run

	chmod 777 /mnt/somewhere

   when the filesystem is mounted.

6. When finished, unmount the disc and remove the packet device.

	umount /mnt/somewhere
	pktsetup -d 0

--
Peter Osterlund - petero2@