[oss-gost-crypto] Fwd: Should we consider removing Streebog from the Linux Kernel?

Vitaly Chikunov vt at altlinux.org
Mon Mar 25 07:51:31 MSK 2019

FYI.

----- Forwarded message from Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> -----

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 00:45:50 -0400
From: Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu>
To: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason at zx2c4.com>, herbert at gondor.apana.org.au, Vitaly Chikunov <vt at altlinux.org>, linux-crypto at vger.kernel.org
Subject: Should we consider removing Streebog from the Linux Kernel?

Given the precedent that has been established for removing the SPECK
cipher from the kernel, I wonder if we should be removing Streebog on
the same basis, in light of the following work:

	https://who.paris.inria.fr/Leo.Perrin/pi.html
	https://tosc.iacr.org/index.php/ToSC/article/view/7405

Regards,

						- Ted

From: "perrin.leo at gmail.com" <perrin.leo at gmail.com>
Subject: [Cryptography] New Results on the Russian S-box

Hello everyone,

I have recently sent an e-mail to the CFRG mailing list about my results
on the S-box shared by both of the latest Russian standards in symmetric
crypto and I have been told that it might interest the subscribers of
this mailing list.

In a paper that I am about to present at the Fast Software Encryption
conference, I describe what I claim to be the structure used by the
S-box of the hash function Streebog and the block cipher Kuznyechik.
Their authors never disclosed their design process---and in fact claimed
that it was generated randomly. I established that it is not the case.
More worryingly, the structure they used has a very strong algebraic
structure which, in my opinion, demands a renewed security analysis in
its light. Overall, I would not recommend using these algorithms until
their designers have provided satisfactory explanations about their
S-box choice.

----- End forwarded message -----