[ALTSP] "Cannot execute binary file" for a local client service

John Hupp ltsp at prpcompany.com
Tue Dec 18 21:33:42 MSK 2012

I have been troubleshooting the apcupsd service on the client. The
client boots, but the service is not found to be running.  If I try to
start /sbin/apcupsd manually, it returns "Cannot execute binary file."

The executable bit is set.

I see that such an error is often due to trying to run a 64-bit program
in a 32-bit environment, but I don't see how that would happen with an
ltsp image.  In any case, "file /sbin/apcupsd" returns results that
indicate it is 32-bit.

Other likely causes?