[kbd] Plus instead acute accent

Alexey Gladkov gladkov.alexey at gmail.com
Sat May 30 15:41:25 MSK 2020

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 02:09:47PM +0200, Daniel G. wrote:
> > > If you try to load de Spanish keymap with:
> > > $ loadkeys es
> > >
> > > It takes you "somewhere" with a Spanish misconfigured map that shows the ñ
> > > correctly, but with some issues with the acute accents, which appear, for
> > > example, as +a instead of a-acute. I have no idea of which "default" map
> > > could it be.
> > >
> > > But if you put the absolute path to the map, the problem is fixed.
> > > $ loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es.map.gz
> >
> > Do you have /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/es.map.gz ?
> > If yes, can you try the following?
> >
> > $ loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/es.map.gz
>
> I've tried it. And it loads the incorrect map, I mean, one showing +a instead
> of a-cute.

Just as I suspected.

> I have just removed that map from the system, and 'loadkeys es' works
> properly, loading a correct Spanish map. It seems we have found the
> "culprit".
>
> As an immediate solution it is easy to remove /olpc/es.map.gz to make it
> work as expected with 'loadkeys es'.

or you could use:

$ loadkeys qwerty/es

> But it could be interesting to know why the default path to the Spanish
> keymap goes to /olpc instead of /qwerty.  I've tried to study the code of
> loadkeys, but sorry, it is out of my range :-(.

This is because loadkeys recursively searches for keymap in
the /usr/share/keymaps/*/* subdirectories (on your system). Directory
names are sorted alphabetically.

keymaps/i386/azerty
keymaps/i386/bepo
keymaps/i386/carpalx
keymaps/i386/colemak
keymaps/i386/dvorak
keymaps/i386/fgGIod
keymaps/i386/neo
keymaps/i386/olpc
keymaps/i386/qwerty
keymaps/i386/qwertz

as you can see /olpc goes before /qwerty.

--
Rgrds, legion