[kbd] eurlatgr uses different glyph for ' (single quote) than latarcyrheb-sun16

Marko Myllynen myllynen at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 09:53:53 MSK 2015

Hi,

On 2015-08-05 19:45, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 03:16:17PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>
>> It's easy to see this: just type a ' in a console and flip between
>> eurlatgr and latarcyrheb-sun16 .
>>
>> I noticed this because we've been implementing some Fedora tests using
>> openQA, SUSE's screenshot-match-based automated test framework, and one
>> of the tests we use matches against a string with a ' in it on a
>> console. For $BORING_REASONS the font used wound up being eurlatgr in
>> some tests I was running and the qemu console font in others, so the
>> match failed sometimes.
>>
> For fedora testing, this is undoubtedly an issue.  But for the kbd
> list I cannot see that this has any relevance - a font designer is
> free to change any, or all, the glyphs.

agreed, that's a Fedora specific issue not relevant here. But just for
the record, this is what I answered in the Fedora BZ:

The typeface didn't change but some individual glyphs were slightly
altered (for example to make the different accented variants of a letter
more consistent or to allow seeing more clearly the difference between
certain characters). Since there were quite a few single/double quoting
characters added, U+0027 was also slightly changed.

Cheers,

--
Marko Myllynen