[kbd] eurlatgr uses different glyph for ' (single quote) than latarcyrheb-sun16

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 01:16:17 MSK 2015

Hi, folks. Per
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NewDefaultConsoleFont -
"eurlatgr is based on latarcyrheb-sun16 so the typeface does not
change" - it sounds like eurlatgr is intended to have the same
appearance as latarcyrheb-sun16 for characters they share in common,
but in fact there seems to be at least one noticeable difference: the
single quote character ('). In eurlatgr it's a straight, vertical line;
in latarcyrheb-sun16 (and the qemu firmware font, for whatever that's
worth...) it's a curl, like a comma.

It's easy to see this: just type a ' in a console and flip between
eurlatgr and latarcyrheb-sun16 .

I noticed this because we've been implementing some Fedora tests using
openQA, SUSE's screenshot-match-based automated test framework, and one
of the tests we use matches against a string with a ' in it on a
console. For $BORING_REASONS the font used wound up being eurlatgr in
some tests I was running and the qemu console font in others, so the
match failed sometimes.

Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson