[kbd] Please support narrow no-break space (U+202F)

Nicolas Delvaux nicolas.delvaux at gmx.com
Wed Aug 25 22:02:15 UTC 2010

Hi,

narrow no-break space chars (lets say nnbsp) are used in French before
";?!»" chars and after "«". It is also used in other language, for
example for the short form of the Czech dates.

Currently, when I switch to a TTY and type a nnbsp, it displays a kind
of diamond (Ubuntu 10.04).
(if you can't easily type a nnbsp with your keyboard layout, run
"/usr/bin/printf '\u202Fx\n'")

I had a look in kbd .uni files, and I didn't found any sign of u+202f
So I propose to just use nnbsp as U+0020 (white space). The same was
done for "no-break space" (U+00a0) and it works.

Someone pointed to me that this behavior is consistent with the
'wcwidth' function of glibc:

This program:
#include <locale.h>
#include <wctype.h>
#include <wchar.h>
#include <stdio.h>
int main () {
  setlocale (LC_ALL, "fr_FR.UTF-8");
  printf ("wcwidth (0x00A0) = %d\n", wcwidth (0x00A0));
  printf ("wcwidth (0x202F) = %d\n", wcwidth (0x202F));
  return 0;
}
return
wcwidth (0x00A0) = 1
wcwidth (0x202F) = 1

I don't know if adding this support is just as simple as adding "u+202f"
at the 0x20 line of each .uni file (if so I can provide a patch if you
want).

Thank you for your attention.
Nicolas

ps: it also works after running these commands:
setfont -v -ou unimap
echo '0x20    U+202f' >> unimap
setfont -v -u unimap