[Hardware] [Re: [opensuse-kernel] Issues with USB 2.0 on one machine.]

Konstantin A. Lepikhov lakostis на unsafe.ru
Вс Ноя 4 03:10:01 MSK 2007

----- Forwarded message from Thomas Meindl <twm.mst@> -----

Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:28:19 +0200
From: Thomas Meindl <twm.mst@>
To: Martin M??ller <martin@>,
	opensuse-kernel@
Subject: Re: [opensuse-kernel] Issues with USB 2.0 on one machine.

Martin M??ller schrieb:
> Hi there.
>
> For a long time now I have had some issues with USB 2.0 enabled on one of my machines, but *only* in Linux. In Windows everything works fine, which makes me think that there's simply something that is not implemented/wrongly detected in Linux.
>
> I get a bunch of these when the ehci-hcd module is loaded:
>
> hub 5-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 5-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 5-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 5-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 5-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 5-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 5-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 5-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 5-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 5-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 5-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
>
> At least 100 and they continue to show up until I unload the ehci-hcd module.
> My load with ehci-hcd loaded is very high. Typically about 2-3 whereas it would be around 0.5 otherwise.
>
> At one point I replied to a bug with a similar problem on the vanilla kernel and got a patch that could block a USB hub, which took care of the load issue, but would also result in my wireless rt2570 disappearing. It was loaded like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> modprobe ehci-hcd
> sleep 1s
> echo 2 > /sys/class/usb_hub/usbhub5.2/ignore
> date > /tmp/fix-usb.log 2&>1
>
> I have (hopefully) attached the patch to this message.
>
> Is there any way that we can get closer to what the real problem is here? Even if it means installing some debug software in Windows and running a battery of tests, I would just really like to have working USB 2.0 again...
>
> I also wonder why the patch never made it to the kernel. It was scheduled for inclusion at one point. Maybe it has issues?
>
> For the record: This happens with almost all 2.6 kernels I have tried, SUSE or otherwise. I think I didn't see it around 2.6.5, but I'm not quite sure. 2.4.x kernels do not have the problem as far as I can tell, but then USB 2.0 is a 2.6 feature, right?
>
> If I do not load the ehci-hcd module I *can* actually see and use my wireless adapter, but naturally it maxes out at 12 Mbit/s...
>
> The machine is pretty responsive even with the high load, but is does not seem right that is should behave this way.
Just to mention it, I had something similar half a year ago. I had built
an old MSI motherboard (nForce2 based) into a new tower case and got
exactly the same messages about the bad USB cable. I investigated and
found out, that pin 10 of the USB2 motherboard connector (called 'USBOC'
by MSI, called 'NC' on modern boards) caused the problem, because in the
old case there was nothing connected to pin 10, in the new one it was -
as far as I remember - connected to GND. I isolated the single pin by
pulling out the connector on the cable's connector (by lifting the very
tiny plastic clasp that holds back the single pin connector and
carefully (!!! ) pulling it out) and all went smooth in Linux  again.
So it was a hardware problem to me and not the kernels fault,
kind regards,
Tom

WBR et al.