[Hardware] [jacekpoplawski@: results of Radeon 9800 Pro test]

Konstantin A. Lepikhov lakostis на anti-leasure.ru
Вт Авг 29 01:00:56 MSD 2006

Hi!

JFYI

----- Forwarded message from Jacek Poplawski -----

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:01:13 +0200
From: Jacek Poplawski <jacekpoplawski@>
To: DRI developer's list <dri-devel@>
Subject: results of Radeon 9800 Pro test

Hi,

I removed fglrx from my system yesterday.
I was using it to initialize my Radeon 9800 Pro before (old DRI driver
crashed without that).
Then I installed new drivers, and I tested following applications:

Blender - at least one problem - selection rendering (BKEY), this happens
with many drivers (like mga), but it was working correctly last time on
r300, step backward?
Celestia - OK
cube - fallbacks to software rendering
Emilia Pinball - OK
Enemy Teritorry - OK
foobillard - OK (but fallbacks to software if I turn on reflections)
galaxymage - OK
glest - refuses to start (Exception: Your system supports OpenGL version "
1.2 (1.3 Mesa 6.5.1)" Glest needs at least version 1.3 to work)
globulation2 - OK (it crashed system on old drivers)
lincity-ng - OK
mplayer - OK (with xv, gl, gl2)
Neverball - OK
ppracer - OK
Quake2 - OK (but dlopen bug requires LD_PRELOAD)
sauerbraten - fallbacks to software rendering
Scorched3D - OK (max details)
S.C.O.U.R.G.E. - OK
sturmbahnfahrer - OK
vamos - works, but many textures are missing (maybe that's an application
problem)
warzone - OK
xmoto - OK

I was unable to crash the system at all, however, I haven't tried to run
more than two OpenGL contexts yet
(because I need to change Xorg.conf for that).

I think that it is safe to say that Radeon 9800 Pro works stable and r300
driver is the best OpenGL implementation I ever seen in Linux
(much more stable than radeon, r200 or voodoo3, much more correct than mga
or i810 and of course much more free than propertiary drivers).
I hope that PCI-E cards are working great, too. I will check it within next
few weeks.

Test System:

ATI Radeon 9800PRO NH (AGP)
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
768MB RAM

Arch Linux
xorg-server 1.1.1, xf86-video-ati 6.6.2, libdrm 2.0.2, mesa 6.5.1rc1,
kernel26 2.6.17.8

PS. Is there any open source application which uses true 3D bump-mapping? Is
it working on r300?