[docs] writing udev rules

Alexandre Prokoudine avp на lrn.ru
Пт Май 20 02:31:11 MSD 2005

FYI:

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

About this document

udev is targetted at Linux kernels 2.6 and beyond to provide a userspace
solution for a dynamic /dev directory, with persistent device naming.
The previous /dev implementation, devfs, is now deprecated, and udev is
seen as the successor. udev vs devfs is a sensitive area of conversation
- you should read this document
(http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev_vs_devfs) before
making comparisons.

udev is a well thought out solution, but I was initially very confused
how I might customise it for my system. This document attempts to make
the process of rule writing a little bit clearer.

I'm all open to feedback - please contact me with any comments,
problems, and suggested improvements.

This document assumes that you have udev/hotplug installed and running
OK with default configurations. If you do not yet have udev configured
and running, I would suggest that you follow "Decibels udev Primer"
(http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html#UDEV)
to get to this stage (contains some Gentoo Linux specifics, but should
be useful for other distro's too).

А.П.